"Beautiful Chaos"
This still is a close-up shot of a torch in the peaceful moments before burning down Clara's childhood home. The fire expresses her rage, while also showing the beauty in her revolt. It also visually translates the concept of the actante, taken from Spanish teatro.
Inspired by a line from Brand New's song "Archers". "Who do you carry the torch for, my young man?/Do you believe in anything?/Do you carry it around just to burn things to the ground?"
Model:
Leanor Kurucz
Fire
My Humble Abode

Great shot Becca! I just have to comment quick that we chose the same name for our main character for our stills...weird! Anyway, I love how the flame in the foreground is in focus and everything else isn't. It definitely makes the fire, although small, seem much more intimidating. I also like the brightness of the shot. To me I see this scene occurring at night with very little light and it being almost secret what Clara is doing, but having it shot in the day gives a whole new meaning to it. It's not secret and Clara wants to set her house a blaze in broad daylight. It makes me wonder what's going on inside her head that would possess her to do this. Again, I love your shot!
ReplyDeleteThe fire in this shot looks incredibly vivid. It's wild and uncontrollable. The shadows being cast on the house give it an expressionist quality. What horrible things have happened here in the past?
ReplyDeleteBecca,
ReplyDeleteI love the fact that you based this off of "Archers" lyrics. I love Brand New!! That being said, I love what you've done with the vividness of this shot. Now that I am looking at it, it does remind me of the album art of The Devil and God, and that steams from the dark silhouette of the subject you have. I like how you got your foreground to blur so that our focus ends up on the actually flame...the metaphor becomes more distinct. Great Job Dude! I really enjoy this.
This has a lot of back story. The lighting/colors of the flames and the background imply "chaos" as you put it within a organized, pretty society. This picture i think describes the exact plot of the film Pleasant-ville." What was also a great empowering use(or by accident) was the shadows at the bottom of the still. They provoke a foreshadowing element which imply something dark and big is coming to this bright culture. Beautifully done.
ReplyDelete