| This is the last shot of my movie about a girl named Zoe who faces numerous problems in her life. She loses her friends and mother because of her unhealthy relationship with her boyfriend, and is forced to give up her child for adoption because she lacks the funds to raise a child on her own. The major theme in the film is that Zoe's happiness is dependent on men, so by the end of the movie she takes actions for her own life and decides to leave everything behind to seek a new life of happiness. Zoe is waiting for the next bus out of the city, she has left everything behind, and ponders what awaits her in the next chapter of her life. I focused on the male gaze to accentuate her shift in agency by the end of the film. |
I think this is an interesting image you've constructed and it raises a lot of questions being the final image of the film. I think that the composition is interesting because it is not simply a close up, but the road in the background is equally in focus. I think that the focus of the road implies the uncertainty that you've created in the description of your narrative. I think that theory wise you could also touch on Belaz and the close up and talk about the look on your actor/model's face. I was going to say that the look was worry, but looking again I would actually describe it as indifference. She's been battered severley by life, and now that she is taking action, her reaction is almost blank.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very evocative image, in large part because of the actress's expressive look. Equally interesting, however, is how her face is read against the mise-en-scene: the truck that looks like it belongs on the farm; the billboard advertising the tattoo parlor. Even if those things were only "happy accidents," they add to the shot's expressiveness. A nice example of Balazs's theory at work and also the economy of language that we expect from melodrama. Nice work, Steven!
ReplyDelete