This is a film still of Briana and Maria. They are best friends but have been forced to suppress their love for one another because of society's stance on gay love. This is their first kiss. I chose to focus on objects of desire and the suppression of emotions present in "My Own Private Idaho," particualrly in Mike's unreturned love for Scott who chooses to take the path of the successful heterosexual male.
I like this picture and how it definately encompasses ideas from the New Queer Cinema in how it is showing two lesbians and their first kiss. I can see how this still does focus on objects of desire and voyuerism as well as the suppression of emotions like you have said. I do see how this picture can relate to "My Own Private Idaho" and I like how you have presented it from the lesbian perspective. Very well done. -LV
ReplyDeleteI love the black and white photography. Very suggestive of all the different "binaries" we've discussed: gay and straight, man and woman, white and non-white. With these kind of "controversial" image, it's a sly little way to comment.
ReplyDelete