My film centers around the depiction of a professional ballerina who had an accidental pregnancy and chose to have an abortion in order to continue working within the physically demanding aesthetics of her career. This still is of the dancer, post operation, who has danced herself into exhaustion due to her extreme emotions and is clinging to a baby blanket. I focused on melodramatic characteristics as well as the feminist theory of Haskell's "superfemale/superwoman." Model: Rebecca Simons

There is a lot of emotion in this photo, and it is all captured very well. I'm a sucker for detail and the baby blanket is a nice touch. While I do see Haskell's theories at work here, I also see a punishing gaze towards her. (Mulvey) Her choice is representative of the 'superfemale' concept, yet is a very painful look at this choice and it creates a sense of suffering (dare I say humiliation) as well. Moreover, I really feel like this one is the most like Sherman's work. I really liked this still and it helped sum up a very interesting story. -AT
ReplyDeleteThe subtle details you added to this still are fantastic to the story you have provided. Her appearance is literally torn up much like her emotions. The ripped leggings and the missing ballet shoe add much more to the destruction to this woman's mind. Well done.
ReplyDeleteShey,
ReplyDeleteYou better be careful or lifetime may come in and steal your idea. Of course by that I mean you really nailed the melodramatic aspect of this still. I think that your plot idea is fantastic and the image is really beautiful. I'm so impressed about how you nailed this concept and I think you did a really awesome job. I like how you used the plot to illustrate which concept from class you were using and were able to find a complex yet believable image to portray all of these intense portions of the plot and melodrama. Overall I think you did a great job and I love your idea and your image that embodies it so well. Kudos my friend.
This film still caught my eye right off the bat! Her expression is heartbreaking and her body language is hopeless. I love that you made this black and white because it makes the scene more dramatic and she blends in with the background which could show how she's lost. I think this really captures her most desperate and lost moment, I feel for her just by looking at this image! Great Job!
ReplyDeleteA very lovely, though troubling, image Shey. The angle of the shot is very powerful. The low angle suggests something of the child's point-of-view, which fits well with the overall theme. As Becca points out, the actor's body language is also very evocative. The small details in the shot also add to this anguish. (the missing shoe, for example). As several others have pointed out, this certainly suggests the kind of simplification of roles we expect from melodrama--as well as the emotional intensity one expects from that genre.
ReplyDelete