Thursday, May 2, 2013

On The Rocks



    Here we have some guy(Alex Tuck) at a bar trying to hit on the girl(Whitney VanBaale) next to him. Judging by the salt shaker, he's not doing to well. I wanted to convey 'drunk' through the camera, so the blurry sense of motion is intentional. I was trying to use 'the gaze' in a subjective way. Through the beer's color and clarity and the man's drunken aggression, my goal was to put the focus on the female subject and depict her in a fetishistic and voyeuristic way, simultaneously. The drunken nature of the picture was also used to remove the man's control (castration), but maintain his perspective of the woman and the situation.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting shot, Alex. Using Whitney's refraction through the glass of beer is a really professional touch, and it also speaks to the gender politics that we've been discussing. The girl is distorted by the refraction and trapped within the glass, giving an impression of monstrosity; her warped appearance makes her look close to human, but not quite, and the beer glass could be taken as analogous to Kong's chains. That might be a bit of a stretch, but not by much. Well done indeed, Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you discussing this in class and I'm glad it turned out great. The use of the gaze works really well in this shot and the color of the beer on Whitney's face give the impression that your character is willing to do anything (good or bad) to get her. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great composition. I love the use of saturated color and blur. Does a great job of conveying internal state of both characters. Both of their gazes are very difficult to discern due to the extreme angle and use of focus, and that represents the different gaze theories we've read about quite well.

    ReplyDelete