Red or Black?
In this image, The Woman in Black (Alicia Humphrey) has come to see her lover, but found him in the arms of another woman. In the context of the family melodrama, The
Man’s (Brandon Dougherty) affection are divided by familial obligation. Should he choose the woman he truly loves or The Woman in Red (Joelle Montoya) who will maintain his social standing and help his family regain financial stability?
I really like your choice of lighting in this frame and the silhouette of the couple really plays on the tension between the characters. I also like that you choose the color red to extenuate the new love affair brought into the narrative. Very cool all the way around.
ReplyDeleteThe coloring is awesome. I also really like the hand position of the woman, and his "oh shit" body language. The viewer is also put in a voyeuristic position by watching this moment of betrayal.
ReplyDeleteThis is an incredibly well planned out shot; you see an exact portrayal of every line in your caption, and I love the way the time of day you chose helps with the melodrama feel. And I agree with Becca, the body language expressed is incredibly appropriate for the context. This is really well done :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteVery well done, and I'm loving the attention to details. I'm assuming the red ribbon tied on the package was intended, and I think it shows that the woman in black has the potential to give the man exactly what he needs and be with the one he truly loves. I enjoy that the man is more disfigured from the lighting behind him, and this could possibly make a statement on how clouded his judgement at the moment is. He is literally blind and cannot see the "right" choice he must make.
ReplyDeleteGreat shot. I really do have to agree with the comments above on how the the body language is extremely telling. I also love the lighting in the shot and how the new couple is standing in the light whereas the old lover is left in the dark. I think the lighting definitely plays with the aspects of Melodrama.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy the overall style of this photograph. Without the annotation it would still be relatively easy to figure out what is happening, which is very appropriate for the melodrama. I like the use of lighting in the doorway, it really highlights the couple to show that they have been caught in the act.
ReplyDeleteA true love story, I like it. The bright lights fixating on the desired beauties with a character in the dark gazing upon them. This has the idea of the "gaze" written all over it. Gaze on/from the people in the doorway. Gaze coming from the girl walking up the steps. Also the choice of attire. The girl in the red dress touching the man in suit providing a sexual image of lust as the man is watching the girl on the steps. Awesome job!
ReplyDeleteGreat shot. Just as Elsaesser says, Mise en scene is one of the most important elements of a melodrama. The way the man and his lover are framed and lit so very differently from the Woman in Black divides them quite well.
ReplyDelete