Friday, May 3, 2013

Sublimely Awful


A couple is reunited after their struggles with society or another oppressive force are resolved.  
They find peace in each others' arms as a flower blooms by their feet to show their new beginning.  
With happy ending nearly complete, why is a cloud of "awful" raining down on them?  
A representation of the devaluation of language through our ignorance to its evolution and changing
 meanings, this still offers a challenge to question what do our words really connote?

5 comments:

  1. This photo is really quite beautiful! I love how you chose to physically draw out the flower and the cloud in order to get your message across. The fact that you hid the characters' faces in order to get the audience thinking is great..we are faced with a devaluation of both verbal and body language, which could really add to emotional conflict. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really sure what to say about this still but it is definitely one of my favorites so I wanted to struggle through it. It reminds me of Happiness where we get the contrast of vivid and vibrant colors with a depressing plot. Here, the woman's leg is kicked back and is visibly happy, wearing a white shirt, whereas the man is in all black and just standing straight up and rigid. I think if there is awful raining down on the couple, like in Happiness it is most likely the guy's fault. Really great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a very classical Hollywood feel to this still for me. The chalk drawings on the wall remind me of the dance sequence toward the end of An American in Paris. When I see umbrellas I just go straight to Singing in the Rain. I find it interesting that it seems as though this couple has a frame around them. The umbrella is not protecting them from the rain. Could it be a protection from the hurtful world around them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your take on the devaluation of language. Hiding the characters faces does that and, to me, for the viewers helps them relate better to the characters. I also really like the contrast between the light colors of the background and the dark colors of the characters clothes, making the contrast between their fantasy and reality that much more noticeably different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mind-boggiling title and the image does creative things as well. The color scheme of the characters, the chalk on the wall, and the wall itself provides intuitive themes that catches the attention of the audience. Another catcher is the fact of the umbrella making the audience curious on not only the raining and blooming flower metaphor but as well if there is something being stored behind, hidden from the audience about the relationship. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete